Oscar Pistorius Denies Prison Suicide Bid

Oladimeji Olaoluwa
3 Min Read
PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA - JULY 6: Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius speaks with relatives after sentencing at the High Court on July 6, 2016 at the High Court in Pretoria, South Africa. Pistorius was sentenced to six years in prison for the murder of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at their home in 2013. (Photo by Marco Longari - Pool/Getty Images)

The Paralympian – who is serving a six-year jail term for murder – is treated for injuries suffered in his Pretoria prison cell.

Oscar Pistorius has denied “speculations” of a suicide attempt after he was treated at a private hospital in Pretoria for injuries suffered in jail.

The South African Paralympian was rushed to Kalafong Hospital from his Pretoria prison cell on Saturday, where he is serving a six-year sentence for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

He has since been returned to jail following treatment.

Singabakho Nxumalo, a spokesman for the correctional services department, said Pistorius told officials that he suffered injuries after falling out of bed.

But South African media reported that Pistorius also had injuries to his wrists.

A spokesman at the Department of Correctional Services said: “Oscar Pistorius denied speculations of a suicide attempt.

“As a policy principle we cannot further discuss a particular offender’s personal condition in the public domain.”

Pistorius’ brother Carl also released a statement on Twitter: “Jenna and I have just seen Oscar and he is doing well given the circumstances. He was in good spirits.

“I know that there are reports saying that he had tried to injure himself – they are completely untrue and sensational.

“All other crazy and unreliable news stories are also baseless. He slipped in his cell and injured himself, nothing serious.”

The athlete fatally shot Ms Steenkamp in his home on Valentine’s Day in 2013.

He initially served one year of a five-year prison sentence for manslaughter, but the conviction was later overturned by an appeals court.

Pistorius was then convicted of the more serious charge of murder.

The runner has always insisted the shooting was a mistake, saying he thought an intruder had entered his home and he feared for his safety.

He fired four shots through a locked toilet door, killing Ms Steenkamp. She was hit in the head, hip and arm.

Pistorius claimed in court it was only when he battered down the door with a cricket bat that he realised the person behind was Ms Steenkamp.

Last month prosecutors said they would appeal Pistorius’ six-year sentence, saying it was too lenient.

Share This Article
Jeje is the CEO jejeupdates.com.. His passion for movies and news led to the creation of this website.. You can reach him anytime via whatssapp on +2348118596162 for advert, enquiries..
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *